Small Business Week @ Build Institute- May 2-4
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 at 12:00pm
Build Institute - 2701 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216, USA
Build Institute is proud to partner with SCORE, SBA and Deloitte during National Small Business Week. From Wednesday, May 2 to Friday, May 4, join us at our offices at 2701 Bagley Ave for workshops that will help you update and refine your business plan for growth and sales.
Wednesday, May 2
Join Build Institute and the SBA for a day of workshops to grow and scale your business.
12pm-1:30pm Lunch & Learn – Get the Maximum Impact with Direct Marketing
Did you know that direct mail has a response rate eight times greater than email? Or for every $167 spent in direct mail in the US, marketers sell over $2000 in goods?
In technology driven era, direct mail is the most effective and profitable advertising because it offers a tangible experience for the customer. Join Build Institute, the SBA and the US Postal Service for a workshop on why direct mail works in today’s marketplace and how it should be in your marketing mix. At the workshop learn:
- Elements of a Successful Direct Mail Campaign
- Mail Piece Design Tips that net Positive Results
- Why Every Door Direct Mail works to deliver new customers.
- How Every Door Direct Mail Web Tool does the work for you.
Cost: $5, includes lunch
2:00- 3:30pm Sales 101
Learn the tips and methods from sales professionals on how you can attract and keep more customers. No matter what you’re selling or if you’re introverted or extroverted, you will gain insight and skill on how to
- Boost confidence and present like a pro
- Push your customers to overcome their indecision and close more sales
- Manage your customer base and have them coming back for more
- Understand different your customers’ buying behaviors in order to present information in a way that appeals to them
4:00- 5:30pm It’s all about the Numbers: Financial Projections
Need to work on the financial strategy of your business plan? This workshop will help you understand and develop your financial forecast for your business plan. Bring your business plan with you and come prepared. You will use your real time numbers and have all your financial questions answered.
5:30- 8pm Business Plan Mentoring Session
Bring your business plans for some spring cleaning! SCORE mentors will give useful group mentoring and 1-on-1 feedback sessions that can save you time and money. Local experts will lead industry discussions
Immediately following, SCORE mentors will hold individual consultation sessions to review your business plan to ensure you’re on the right track.
- 5:30- Overview and Welcome
- 5:45-6:40- Group Mentoring Sessions
(Food/Restaurant, Retail, Professional Services, Fashion/Beauty, Other)
- 6:40- 8:00- One on One Counseling Sessions (20 minute sessions)
This was a popular event last year so be sure to sign up soon!
- Please bring your business plan, printed out. At least two copies (one for you and one for the mentor)
- Due to high interest, we are asking you to sign up for a consultation timeslot for your business. Only one consultation per business (including all representing owners/partners).
Multiple entries will be deleted.
- If you don’t sign up for a time slot, you will be assigned one at check-in.
Refreshments will be provided.
Thursday, May 3
12-4pm Office Hours with Build Institute
Come tap into the expertise of Build’s staff and facilitators during our open office hours.
Topics for One-On-One Advising Sessions include:
- E-commerce and selling on Etsy
- Marketing and knowing your customer
- Social Media and best practices
- How to have a successful pop-up market experience
- Tapping into other entrepreneurial resources
Friday, May 4 12-2:30pm
Lunch & Learn: Recalibrating your Business for Success
You’ve launched and have been working in your business for some time and now it’s time to assess your core activities and business efficiency. This checkup will assist you detailing the stages you should go through to assess how well your business is performing, highlighting your strengths and areas that could be improved and suggesting the actions you need to take to implement the improvements that you’ve identified.
Build Institute is collaborating with Deloitte to cohost a learning workshop where Deloitte volunteers will thought partner with Build alumni and Detroit’s small business community. During the workshop, participants will be challenged to:
- Understand your customers– now that you’re out there doing the work, we want to help you think about how you can revisit your understanding of who your customer really is
- Evaluate market performance and direction– use your data (e.g., sales results) to consider how well you are performing and how to best position yourself in the market
- Fine tune your products and services– explore ideas about how to make sure your products will meet your customers’ evolving needs.
- Check in on operational matters– look at any potential improvements you can make to your premises, your methods, technologies used, your processes, IT and quality.
- Consider financial matters– review how your business is financed, levels of retained profit, the sales income generated and your cash flow.
- Optimize organization and people– consider needs around your organizational structures, talent strategy and management, and training and development.
As a proud member of the Detroit community for over 80 years, “Deloitte” is the brand under which tens of thousands of dedicated professionals in independent firms throughout the world offer clients a broad range of fully integrated services in areas that include accounting, assurance and advisory, risk, tax, management, financial advisory, technology integration, strategy and operations, and human capital consulting. Deloitte’s multidisciplinary client service teams work closely with clients to create powerful business solutions for organizations in the United States and around the world.