Our core 8-week business and project planning class is designed for aspiring and established entrepreneurs. Classes are taught by local experts and cover all the basics of starting a business – from licensing to financial literacy, market research to cash flow and more. You’ll leave the class with a completed business plan, a cohort of fellow entrepreneurs in Detroit, and the knowledge and confidence to take your idea to the next level.
Fall registration is now open until Monday, September 18.
Build Basics sessions run quarterly and are offered on a flexible basis including daytime, evening and weekend sessions to accommodate busy schedules. Classes are priced on an affordable, sliding scale based on annual household income and family size; costs range from $200 – $500.
Build Basics Fall 2017 Class Schedule:
Build Basics 65: Saturdays from 10AM-3PM. Apply here.
Class is held on October 7, October 21, November 4, & November 18.
Held at Build Institute – 2701 Bagley Avenue, Detroit, MI 48216
Build Basics 66: Wednesdays from 6-9PM. Apply here.
Class meets weekly from October 4 – November 29 (No class Nov. 22).
Held at MASH – 14711 Mack Ave, Detroit, MI 48215
*The same curriculum is applied to all sessions. Class numbers are for the sake of documentation only.
Our curriculum is learner-centered, hands-on and activity based, so you’ll be doing as much as you’ll be listening. At the start of every session, we provide you with a Build binder that includes lessons, resources and a sample business plan for you to fill out as we go.
Session topics include:
- Money Management & Life Skills
- Legal Structures, Licensing & Personal Budget
- Personal Credit, Start-up Costs & Overhead
- Sales Unit & Break Even Point
- Sales and Profit Goals & Cash Flow
- Target Markets, Market Research & Mission
- Research, Competition, Pricing & Goals
- Financing Sources & Loan Process
A large part of our curriculum includes guest speakers from a variety of backgrounds sharing their real world expertise and insight with our Builders. Below are some examples of previous speakers who have participated in our classes.
- Eric Williams – Small Business Lawyer and former Director for the Program of Entrepreneurship and Business Law at WSU
- Hajj Flemings – Brand Strategist, Speaker, Tech Entrepreneur, Brand Camp University
- Elizabeth Garlow – Executive Director at Michigan Corps
- Patrick Kruse – Lawyer and Professor, Patrick G Kruse PLC
Why Build Basics?
We strive to provide a nurturing environment for Builders both during and after they graduate from our classes. From ongoing educational workshops to alumni networking events, we know that learning doesn’t stop in the classroom. Read testimonials from graduates about why they loved taking a Build class! We hope you’ll take the time to explore our recommended online resources and check out what we offer to our graduates below.
- Ongoing workshops in partnership with local entrepreneurial support organizations
- Marketing through weekly Build Grad Profiles, social media, and newsletters
- Open City monthly networking events
- Build Bazaar pop-up marketplace for Build alumni
- Weekly Open Office Hours
- Alumni Engagement Events + Active Alumni FB Group
- Deals and discounts from local businesses