Detroit Biz Grid
The BizGrid is a comprehensive and powerful infographic designed to help Detroit entrepreneurs navigate the landscape of organizations providing business assistance within the city. We highly recommend it!
- Start a Business in MI – Step-by-step paperwork, filing fees, and processing times to start your business. It will help you file formation documents, obtain tax IDs, and set up company records.
- Michipreneur – An online publication built to empower entrepreneurs, encourage investment, strengthen small business, and foster talent retention in Michigan by publishing news, resources, events, funding information, and more for Michigan startups and businesses.
- Start Grid – A free, entrepreneurially-based community website that enables and encourages its members to share knowledge, create new markets, and help each other build great companies.
- DEGC – A non-profit organization that works closely with the City of Detroit and other partners to support existing businesses and to bring new companies and investments to the city.
- Insyght – An online service that combines an extensive inventory of business resources with technology to provide the resources at the right time to growing businesses, and generate date to drive informed economic development decisions.
- Business Model Canvas – An online business model canvas software that outlines several prescriptions which form the building blocks for the activities, as well as enabling both new and existing businesses to focus on operational as well as strategic management and marketing plans.
- Detroit SCORE– A resource partner with the Small Business Administration (SBA), dedicated to entrepreneurial education. SCORE provides mentoring for small business owners, at every stage, utilizing a large network of volunteers, across 62 industries.
Marketing, Design & Demographics
- Adcraft Club of Detroit – A catalyst that brings together the Detroit advertising and marketing communications community to exchange ideas, support and educate their membership and young professionals, recognize and celebrate great work, and foster creativity in their various crafts and greater community.
- Brand Camp University – Brand Camp University is an interactive conference that brings together the best and brightest minds in communications, marketing, brand development and business management to explore how social media has revolutionized the way individuals and companies position their brands.
- Compass – A freelance network of tech-savvy individuals who can help small businesses to build their online presence in the most affordable, transparent way possible.
- Good Done Daily – A design company that creates unique brand identities and experiences, packaging, way-finding, book covers, and more.
- Data Driven Detroit – A statewide organization with a focus on the city of Detroit that houses a comprehensive data system that includes current and historic demographic, socioeconomic, educational, environmental, and other indicators, in which to drive informed decision-making.
- Small Business Development Center – Provides counseling, training, secondary market research for new ventures, existing small businesses and advancing technology companies; positively impacts the economy by strengthening existing companies, creating new jobs, retaining existing jobs, and assisting companies in defining their path to success.
- DEGC – See above in General section.
- 7.2 Square Mile Report – Captures current information on residing, working, employing, visiting, living, playing, and investing in Greater Downtown, as well as helps us to understand where we were, where we are, and offers a glimpse into where we are going.
- Detroit Future City – A framework for decision and policy making that reflects the best of Detroit’s imagination and innovation to create a more prosperous, connected, and sustainable city.
- Signal Return – A traditional letterpress print shop located in Detroit’s own Eastern Market.
- Moo and Print Peppermint – Online resources for printing business cards and identity collateral in large and small quantities.
- Brand New and Logopond – Databases of brand identities and logos that will help you find design inspiration.
- Squarespace and Virb – Two online resources to make a mobile-responsive website.
Tax, Law & Accounting
- IRS Tax Forms and Publication – provides necessary IRS tax forms and other resources
- Small Business Tax and Management – Provides tax and management guidance to small and medium sized businesses and their owners.
- Outright.com – Accounting software that helps business owners save time, make bookkeeping more simple, and doing taxes easier.
- Canvas Legal – Law firm that provides a comprehensive set of services to established businesses, profits, and nonprofit entities; encourages the development and growth of their clients and ensures that their interests are being served and protected.
- Wayne State Bus. and Comm. Law Clinic – Provides free legal services to for-profit small business and startups, and are serviced by second and third year law students under the direct supervision of licensed attorneys.
- Wayne Alumni Law Group – A new, independent law firm hatched by Wayne State University Law School that has new attorneys move forward and assist Detroit entrepreneurs with growing their businesses and being part of the city’s economic comeback.
- Upcounsel – Online database of free legal documents and articles for business formation.
- Tech Town Open Office Hours – Tech Town Lab team members offer consultations on such things as securing funds, lining up resources, making connections, and more.
- Grand Circus – A downtown Detroit company that host bootcamps that teach people the skills—which were confirmed with the business community—they need to be extremely valuable to local technology companies.
- Google Business Resources and Office Hours – Google Ann Arbor offers in-person office hours for local small businesses and nonprofits.
- Compass website development – See Marketing, Design, & Demographics section.
- Kiva – Seeks to fight poverty and connect millions of people around the world through lending and small loans.
- Detroit Development Fund – Provides loans and technical assistance to small business owners, developers, building owners, contractors, and subcontractors who cannot get all of the capital they need from traditional financing sources.
- Invest Detroit – Certified Community Development Financial Institution and a leading source of private sector financing which utilizes a variety of funding tools through managed for-profit and non-profit targeted funds to support economic and community development in underserved communities primarily in the City of Detroit.
- ProsperUS – Works with entrepreneurs and community organizations to revitalize neighborhoods by concentrating micro-enterprise development in low-income immigrant and minority neighborhoods.
- Michigan Women’s Foundation – Provides access to capital and a strong entrepreneurial ecosystem for women starting and growing businesses with the goal of preparing them to qualify for traditional funding, as well as developing the next generation of female leaders and advancing Michigan’s Women’s Agenda.
- Hatch Detroit – A vehicle to champion and support independent retail businesses in Detroit through funding, exposure, education, and mentoring.
- NEIdeas – A program that celebrates existing businesses in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park—rewarding those with the best ideas with large grants.
- Motor City Match – This quarterly City of Detroit program connects new and expanding businesses with Detroit’s quality real estate opportunities, providing selected businesses with up to $100k of matched funding and tools to fuel the City’s entrepreneurial revolution.
- Kidpreneur – Started by Build grad Thanh Tran, Kidpreneur provides an environment for children to learn to code, program robots, design websites and more that is taught by top practitioners with real-world experience in technology, game development and entrepreneurship.
- Detroit Lemonade Day – Lemonade day is a free, fun, experiential learning program that teaches youth how to start, own and operate their own business – a lemonade stand.
- BFS Capital’s Kid’s Guide to Understanding Business & Money – A comprehensive guide for kids which covers topics such as taxes, income and wages, and creating budgets.
Other Programs / Coworking
- Green Garage – Green community whose goal is to develop triple-bottom-line businesses (healthy for the environment, economics, community), as well as forming a diverse.
- Foodlab Detroit – A community of food entrepreneurs committed to making the possibility of good food in Detroit a sustainable reality. They design, build, and maintain systems to grow a diverse ecosystem of triple-bottom-line food businesses.
- Detroit Creative Corridor Center – Designed to support the growth of Detroit’s creative economy by delivering business acceleration, attraction services and developing signature programming tailored specifically to creative professionals’ needs.
- Techtown – Offers small offices, office suites, labs, and co-working space in the historic Chevrolet Creative Services Building.
- Co-working Guide Detroit – Resource that helps entrepreneurs find the best co-working space for their business needs in Detroit.
- Bamboo – Provides shared workshop, resources, and a network of services.
Build Alumni Badge
Build graduates – show support for your Build community by putting a Build badge on your website!